Based on 8-10 servings per recipe.
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons fresh or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 cup water chestnuts, diced
- 1 cup shelled pistachio nuts
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 cups low sodium turkey, chicken or mushroom broth
- Cook 2 cups wild rice in 3 cups of fresh turkey stock, low sodium chicken broth, or mushroom broth.
- See link to mushroom broth
- Saute mushrooms, onion, apricots, cherries in butter.
- Add water chestnuts, pistachios and rice. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- Add fresh herbs, put in greased baking dish and bake about 30 minutes in 350 degree oven.
- Great side dish to turkey at Thanksgiving or with a roast chicken. We usually double or triple the recipe and freeze it, it keeps well for months.
About This Recipe
This recipe makes a sweet, nutty, rustic stuffing for chicken, turkey or other meats or makes a great vegetrian dish using our mushroom broth recipe.