Based on 12 servings per recipe.
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 box yellow cake mix or sugar free cake mix
- 3/4 cup flour
- 12 egg whites
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup caramel flavored syrup, regular or sugar free
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Microwave diced apples for 6 minutes on high or until they are soft. Mash until applesauce and let cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl add cake mix, flour, egg whites, vegetable oil, water, apple mixture and caramel flavoring. Mix on low speed for one minute, scraping the sides of the bowl. Then mix for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour the batter into two greased loaf pans or a 9 X 13 baking dish. Bake for 30-45 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. After the cake has cooled sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Nutrition information based on regular cake mix and syrup
About This Recipe
Shared by Chef Duane Sunwold of the Inland Northwest Culinary Academy in Spokane.