Winter Harvest Casserole
Dinner, Side Dishes, Vegetarian, Low Phosphorus, Low Sodium
Based on 10-12 servings per recipe.
- 1 pound parsnips, potatoes, carrots, or turnips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar or mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup half and half or milk
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice parsnips into 1/4 inch slices.
If slices are really large, cut in half.
Cook in skillet with oil, thyme, and sugar for about 5-7 minutes, until golden brown and softened.
Grease a small casserole or baking pan.
Spread half the parsnips over the bottom of the dish. Put half the tomatoes in the next layer.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Add another layer of parsnips and tomatoes, then the rest of the cheese.
Mix oregano with half and half or milk and pour over dish.
Cover with lid or foil and bake about 40 minutes until tender.
Remove lid and brown a few more minutes.
About This Recipe
Roasted vegetables make this vegetarian casserole hearty and warm. The recipe is both high in fiber and filling.