Based on 8 ( 3 meatballs or 1 patty) servings per recipe.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasonings
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- In saucepan, add 4 cups of water to 1 cup dried lentils. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Chop mushrooms finely, in about ¼ inch pieces, with a knife or in food processor.
- In frying pan, add oil and onions, cook till translucent. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook a few minutes more.
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and mash with potato masher, or put in food processor and pulse for several pulses. You want the mixture to be still somewhat chunky, not pureed. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- For meatballs, use an ice cream scoop to form about 24 balls. If making vegetarian patties, form into about 8 patties 4 inches wide by ½ inch thick. You can also make half the number of meatballs and half the number of patties, and save them for another meal or freeze for later.
- Put on a baking sheet or use a sicone non-stick mat. Spray meatballs or patties with cooking spray or brush with a small amount of olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Flip over and bake another 15 minutes.
About This Recipe
A delicious vegetarian option.