Based on 6 servings per recipe.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (unsalted if possible)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cajun seasoning
In a large pot, cook beef over medium heat until browned.
Stir in onion and cook until soft.
Stir in tomato sauce, 2 cups water, green chilis, bell pepper, and spices.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for at least one hour.
About This Recipe
Making your own seasoning blend allows you to drastically reduce the sodium in this popular dish compared to canned chili or chili mixes. Yee haw!