Based on tbd servings per recipe.
- 3 stalks Celery, chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 4-8 ounces, sliced Lean smoked turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup Canola oil
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 tablespoon Salt-free Cajun seasoning (see in notes)
- 2 cups Low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 pounds Cooked shrimp (optional)
- 3 cups Frozen, chopped okra (optional)
Add celery, onion, chicken and sausage to slow cooker.
Add low sodium chicken broth,
Add more water if needed to cover chicken.
Let simmer 6-8 hours.
When you get home, put on the rice cooker, or start instant rice in a saucepan on the stove.
In frying pan, mix 1/2 cup canola oil and stir in 1/2 cup flour to make a roux.
Stir in Cajun seasoning and let cook for a minute or more depending on how dark you want your gumbo to be.
Slowly stir in some of the chicken broth from your slow cooker, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
Once you have a thin paste, add it back to the slow cooker, along with cut-up red pepper, shrimp and okra (if you like it).
Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through and serve over rice.
About This Recipe
This slow-cooked meal with a kick of Cajun spice can be waiting for you when you get home after a busy day.