Based on 8 servings per recipe.
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tomato, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 medium cucumber, seeded & chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a bowl, combine bulgur with hot water. Cover with a kitchen towel. Skip step if using cooked brown rice.
- Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Stir in tomato, cucumber, parsley, green onion, mint and pepper.
- Combine oil and lemon juice.
- Toss with the bulgur or rice mixture.
- Cover and chill.
- Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Tip: Leave out the mint if you can’t find it fresh. Dried mint has a different flavor.
About This Recipe
This cool Middle Eastern salad is easy to make and its flavor only improves over time.