Based on 4 servings per recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 3 fresh red peppers, roasted
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups broth or water, divided
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds, optional
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil, optional
Warm olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add onions and stir to combine.
Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft, reduce heat if necessary to keep onions from browning.
Add garlic and cook, uncovered until soft, about 3 minutes.
Stir in paprika and cook 1 minute.
Add lentils, peppers, tomatoes, and 1 1/3 cups broth or water.
Bring to boil, reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer, cover, and cook until lentils are extremely soft, about 30 minutes.
In 3 batches, whirl soup in blender or processor until very smooth, at least 3 minutes per batch.
Add dry milk and vinegar to the last batch.
Season with more vinegar if needed and add in a little more broth if soup seems too thick.
Serve topped with a sprinkle of almonds and a drizzle of oil if you like.
About This Recipe
Lentils, tomatoes, and red peppers make this a delicious soup that is high in fiber and protein.