Mediterranean Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Dinner, Lunch, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 6 servings per recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 3 fresh red peppers, roasted
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or water
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup cashews or almonds, toasted
- Heat olive oil, add onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally until onions are very soft and carmelized.
- Add garlic and paprika, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, peppers, tomatoes, and 1 cup broth.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer, cover, and cook lentils until they are soft (about 30 min).
- In several batches, whirl soup in blender or food processor until very smooth.
- Add dry milk and vinegar to the last batch.
- Stir together.
- Season with more vinegar if needs more taste and add in a little more broth if soup seems too thick.
- Serve topped with a sparkle of almonds and a drizzle of oil if you like.
About This Recipe
This delicious soup has a sweet distinctive flavor that you will love as much as tomato soup.