Lemon-Blueberry Corn Muffins
Breads, Breakfast, Snacks, Vegetarian, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 12 servings per recipe.
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup milk (cow's, soy, or rice)
- 2 tablespoons oil or unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan or 8×8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine milk, oil or butter, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Add milk mixture to cornmeal mixture and stir until just barely mixed. It is ok to have some lumps.
- Then lightly stir in blueberries (if you are using frozen berries rinse them with cold water and pat dry before adding to the batter).
- Pour batter into muffin or 8×8 pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes if making muffins, 25 minutes if baking in 8×8 pan.
- Drizzle with honey if desired.
About This Recipe
This corn and blueberry muffin blend with lemon zing is a perfect breakfast or snack. This recipe is also delicious with fresh or frozen raspberries.