Based on 6 servings per recipe.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 onions, medium, chopped
- 2 carrots, medium, chopped finely
- 2 celery sticks, medium, chopped finely
- 2 cups barley
- 6-8 lamb shanks or lamb chops
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 parsley sprigs, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1 cup white wine
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- In fry pan, using 2 tablespoons of oil, saute garlic and vegetables until transparent and golden.
- Add barley and stir constantly until golden in color.
- Put in casserole dish.
- Brown lamb in fry pan and add to casserole dish.
- Pour broth over, and add herbs. Add more liquid if needed to cover barley.
- Bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- When done, barley should be barely moist and the meat tender.
About This Recipe
This casserole contains tender lamb chunks with a savory broth.