Based on 6-8 servings per recipe.
- 10-12 pounds whole turkey
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 celery stalks, whole
- 1 lemon, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh thyme stripped from stems (about 14 stems)
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey.
- Fill bird with onion, celery and lemon.
- Rub skin with olive oil.
- Put on 2 sheets of aluminum foil.
- Cover top of bird with seperate sheet of foil, which you will remove later.
- Seal the edges of the foil and put on a rack and roast in the oven.
- While turkey is cooking, melt butter, chop sage and thyme leaves finely.
- Add bay leaves, chopped herbs, and honey to butter.
- Simmer 10 minutes, until butter is lightly browned, then remove the bay leaves.
- When the turkey reaches 145-155 degrees, raise oven temperature to 500 degrees, remove top foil and baste turkey with honey herb mixture, every 5-10 minutes or so.
- Using a thermometer, when the turkey reaches 160 degrees remove from oven, tent with foil and let rest 30 minutes before carving.
About This Recipe
This sweet and savory coating will make your turkey a beautiful color and taste great.