Chicken Lasagna With White Sauce
Dinner, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 6 servings per recipe.
- 6 ounces chicken (breast or thigh)
- 12 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, thick sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Mocha Mix (or any non-dairy creamer)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 zucchini, sliced into little moons
- 1 package no boil lasagna noodles
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken and broth in small pot and bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer until chicken is white and fully cooked. Chicken will cook faster if cut into pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, over medium heat, add olive oil, onion, oregano, and black pepper and saute for 5 minutes or until onion begins to soften.
- If using wine, add to pan and allow to evaporate.
- Add mushrooms.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over pan, stirring to distribute flavors. Ingredients in pan should look clumpy.
- Allow this to cook for a few minutes (~3 minutes).
- Break up cream cheese and add to pan, stirring once again until melted and evenly distributed. (~2 minutes)
- Slowly add Mocha mix to the pan, stirring once again.
- Ingredients should be thickening up and not be clumpy. If it’s still clumpy, keep stirring to break them up.
- Add nutmeg.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and keep stirring as it cooks for another 5 minutes, the sauce should also be thickening up.
- Remove chicken from pot (save the broth) and using two forks, shred chicken apart, trying to keep pieces even.
- Set aside.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of leftover broth into cream mixture to thin it out, stirring occasioanlly for 2 minutes.
- Place lasagna sheets into pan, top with 1/3 of the sauce, then 1/2 the chicken, and 1/2 of the zucchini pieces (evenly spread on top); repeat layers again, topping it off with the remaining sauce.
- Cover in foil and place in oven for 30 minutes, and remove foil for last few minutes until desired crispiness.
About This Recipe
A great way to use up any leftover chicken. Make it your own by adding other vegetables to the layers.