Ethnic, Holidays, Side Dishes, Vegetarian, High Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 12 servings per recipe.
- 2 cups Black-eyed peas, dried
- 3 1/2 cups water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 12 ounces smoked turkey (optional)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Add black-eyed peas to a large bowl and add water to cover by about 4 inches. Cover and let soak for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain peas and rinse under cold water.
- In a large pot, add black-eyed peas and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook until peas are tender, which will take about 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
About This Recipe
Black-eyed peas are an excellent source of protein. Ask your butcher for smoked turkey leg or neck to add a deep smoky flavor to the broth without salt.