Ethnic, Holidays, Vegetarian, High Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 12 servings per recipe.
- 2 cups Black-eyed peas, soaked overnight
- 3 1/2 cups Water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 12 ounces Smoked turkey (optional)
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 5 to 6 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup Celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Curry powder
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- Place black-eyed peas and liquid in large pot with vegetables, seasonings and meat (optional).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook until peas are tender and done, which will take about 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
About This Recipe
Black eyed peas are an excellent source of protein. Ask your butcher for smoke turkey leg or neck to add a deep smoky flavor to the broth without salt.