Based on 30 servings per recipe.
- 3 pounds flank steak or other lean meat
- 3/4 cup sodium reduced (lite) soy sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid pepper sauce
1.Trim (or have the butcher trim) all fat from a 3 pound flank steak or any lean meat.
2.Cut lengthwise, with the grain, into 30 long strips.
3. Place the strips in a glass dish.
4. mix all other ingredients together and pour over the beef.
5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
6. When you are ready to dry the meat, remove it from the marinade.
7. If you have a dehydrator, set it for 145 degrees and dry the meat for 5-20 hours.
8. If you are using the oven, preheat to 175 degrees.
9. Put wire racks on top of baking sheets and lay the strips so they are not overlapping .
10. Bake for 10-12 hours. The beef jerky should be dry and somewhat brittle when done.
Store your jerky in an airtight container or plastic bag. If you are keeping it for longer than a week, store it in the freezer.
About This Recipe
Make your own jerky so you can control the sodium. This makes for a great on the go snack.