Based on 10 servings per recipe.
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, diced 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth, low sodium
- 3 cups water
- 1 frozen package (16 ounces) of vegetables
- 2 potatoes, soaked and diced
- 1/2 cup barley
- Season beef with pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to stew pot and saute 5 minutes.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of oil and add onions, carrots and mushrooms.
- Saute for 5 minutes and stir often.
- Add garlic and thyme and saute for 3 mins.
- Add chicken broth and water to pot.
- Add mixed vegtables, potatoes and barley.
- Stir and bring to boil.
- Cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
About This Recipe
Packed with protein and fiber, this soup is easy to make ahead and reheat for a quick meal.