Asian Pear Torte
Desserts, Vegetarian, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 8-10 servings per recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups almonds plus 1/4 cup for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup, cold, cut in 6-8 pieces butter or margarine
- 2 egg yolks
- 2-3 Asian pears
- 1/2 cup melted slightly apple,current jelly or lemon marmalade
- marishino cherry and powdered sugar for garnish
- 1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In food processor pulse 1 ½ cups nuts, flour, sugar, lemon, and cinnamon, until nuts are finely chopped.
3. Add almond extract, butter, and egg yolks.
4.Pulse to mix.
5. Grease bottom and sides of 9″ springform pan and fill with dough, pressing up to sides. Reserve 1/4-1/2 cup batter.
6. Slice Asian Pears about 1/4″ thick.
7. Starting at middle of batter, layer slices in consecutive ring out from center. Make two complete circles around top of torte.
8. Spread your reserved batter around the edge of the cake, over the end of the pears to make a crust of sorts.
9. Melt jelly for 1 minute in microwave and brush over Asian pear slices.
10.Sprinkle edges and center with remaining sliced almonds.
11. Bake about 30-35 minutes.
12. Let cool before opening springform pan.
13. Garnish with marishino cherry in center and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
About This Recipe
This torte is an impressive presentation to serve your guests instead of pie.