Pavlova: Meringue Cake
Desserts, Ethnic, Vegetarian, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 8 servings per recipe.
- 4 Egg whites
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon White vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 cup Whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 cups Fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover 1 large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer, on high, until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly add sugar and beat for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Sprinkle vinegar, vanilla and cornstarch over the egg whites and beat until well blended.
- Spread egg white mixture on the baking sheet to form an 8 inch circle making the outside edges higher than the middle, like a shallow bowl.
- Place in the oven and reduce the temperature to 200 degrees F.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Turn off oven and leave the baked meringue in the oven to cool with the door sightly open for at least 1 hour.
- Place meringue on a serving plate.
- Combine ingredients for whipped cream and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fill cooled meringue with whipped cream and top with fruit.
About This Recipe
Light as air and impressively elegant with fruit as a special occasion dessert.