Pavlova: Meringue Cake
Desserts, Ethnic, Vegetarian, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, Low Sodium
Based on 8 servings per recipe.
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover 1 large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer, on high, until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly add sugar and beat for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Sprinkle vinegar, vanilla and cornstarch over the egg whites and beat until well blended.
- Spread egg white mixture on the baking sheet to form an 8 inch circle making the outside edges higher than the middle, like a shallow bowl.
- Place in the oven and reduce the temperature to 200 degrees.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Turn off oven and leave the baked meringue in the oven to cool with the door sightly open for at least 1 hour.
- Place meringue on a serving plate.
- Combine whipping cream, 2 tablespoons sugar, and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fill cooled meringue with whipped cream and top with fruit.
About This Recipe
Light as air and impressively elegant, perfect for a special occasion dessert.