Desserts, Sauces, Vegetarian, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, Low Protein, Low Sodium
Based on serving is 2 tablespoons servings per recipe.
- 2/3 cup lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- zest from 4 lemons
- 1 cup unsalted butter, frozen if possible
- 4 whole plus 1 yolk eggs, well beaten
- In saucepan heat sugar, lemon juice and peel until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add butter. Let melt.
- When mixture is about room temperature, dribble in eggs slowly, and whisk in.
- Return mixture to heat over double boiler. Remove when mixture thickens, or when it reaches 170 degrees.
- Continue stirring curd over double boiler (which has been removed from heat), for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Mixture will coat a spoon thickly.
- Pour through a fine strainer.
- Keeps about 1 month in the refrigerator.
About This Recipe
This lemon curd is delicious in mini muffin crusts for a bite sized lemon pie treat.