Based on tbd servings per recipe.
- 2/3 cup (about 4 lemons) Lemon juice
- 2 cups Fine sugar
- 4 lemons Lemon peel, finely grated (optional)
- 1 cup Unsalted butter, frozen if possible
- 4 whole plus 1 yolk Eggs, well beaten
- In saucepan, heat sugar, lemon juice and peel until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add butter. Let melt.
- When mixture is about room temperature, dribble in eggs slowly, and whisk in.
- Return mixture to heat over double boiler. Remove when mixture thickens, or when it reaches 170 degrees.
- Continue stirring curd over double boiler (which has been removed from heat), for 5 minutes, or until thickened. (mixture will “trace” lightly when dripped with a spoon).
- Pour through a fine strainer.
- Keeps about 1 month refrigerated.
About This Recipe
This lemond curd is delicious in mini muffin crusts for a bite sized lemon pie treat.