Hearty Mashed Potatoes
Vegetarian, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, Low Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 8 servings per recipe.
- 2 pounds Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Unsalted butter
- Peel potatoes and slice thinly, about 1/8 inch thinck.
- Rinse well.
- Place sliced potatoes in a large pot of water so that there is at least 4 times more water than potatoes (about 9 quarts of water).
- Soak for at least 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse soaked potaotes.
- Place soaked potatoes in a large stockpot.
- Fill rest of pot with water.
- Bring to a boil then boil for 10 minutes.
- Discard water.
- Transfer boiled potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash lightly with a potato masher or use a hand mixer on low speed until just mashed.
- Mix in butter.
- Add milk slowly until desired consistency is reached. Be careful not to overmash or the potatoes may develop a glue-like consistency.
About This Recipe
Soaking the potatoes before cooking can reduce the potassium by half. Stick to portion sizes to keep potassium intake within range.