Healthy Low Sodium Gravy
Holidays, Sauces, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, Low Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 32 servings per recipe.
- 10 cups water
- tbd turkey neck and giblets
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram or thyme (stems removed)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- In a large pot, add water, turkey parts, chopped vegetables, garlic, and herbs to make a broth.
- Bring to a boil and simmer about 1 hour.
- Toast flour in oven on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees until light brown, about 10 minutes stirring once or twice.
- Strain broth through fine sieve.
- Pull meat off the neck, chop with giblets and return to broth.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk 3 cups broth into the flour.
- Pour back into large pot with remaining broth. (You can do all this one day ahead and then move on to the next step the day you are serving the turkey)
- Bring stock to a boil over high heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 5- 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add cider vinegar just before serving.
About This Recipe
Skip the canned or packaged gravy and make your own to reduce the amount of sodium intake.