Easter Egg Wreath
Breads, Holidays, Vegetarian, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 10-12 servings per recipe.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 3/4 - 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup candied fruit (citron)
- 6 colored eggs (raw)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Warm 1/2 cup of milk in microwave about 1 minute.
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg, then add yeast mixture, remaining milk and cardamom.
- Gradually mix in flour and candied fruit to make a moderately soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly-floured surface; knead till smooth and elastic, 5-8 minutes.
- Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface.
- Cover; let rise till dough doubles in size, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Punch down.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and divide dough in thirds; form into balls.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each ball into a 16-inch long rope.
- Line up the 3 ropes, 1 inch apart, on greased baking sheet.
- Braid loosely, beginning in the middle and working towards the ends.
- Pinch each end together and then form into a ring.
- Fit colored eggs into folds of braid. They cook along with the bread!
- Cover; let rise about 40 minutes, till dough has almost doubled in size.
- Brush with a little milk.
- Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Cool on wire rack.
About This Recipe
Start a new tradition with this sweet fruited bread and colorful Easter eggs baked right in the dough.