Cowboy Caviar Bean and Rice Salad
Appetizers, Dinner, Lunch, Salads, Side Dishes, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 6 servings per recipe.
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn, cooked
- 3 cups rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup low sodium canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Prepare rice and corn, let cool.
- To make the dressing whisk lime juice, oil, brown sugar, mustard, and black pepper together.
- In a large bowl combine all other ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir.
- Chill for one hour in refrigerator.
Tips: If you dislike spice leave out the jalapeño—this salad is still packed with flavor even without it!
You can also use canned corn just be sure to drain and rinse it first.
About This Recipe
This salad is a great way to use leftover rice. You can make it one day ahead of time, but do not mix the dressing in until one hour before serving.