Sauces, Vegetarian, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, Low Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 8-12 servings per recipe.
- 2 pounds small lemons, limes, kumquats or oranges
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 1/4 cup mustard seed
- glass jars
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar
- Cut a cross in each fruit at the stem end. If using oranges, quarter.
- Stuff into glass jars and fill with vinegar.
- Add 2 teaspoons mustard seed to each jar. Put on lids.
- Leave at room temperature about one month, then make into relish below and serve.
- In a small frying pan, mix the fruit with sugar, add more sugar to taste if needed.
- Shake the pan often over medium heat until the mixture boils and fruit turns shiny and translucent, 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm or cool.
- The leftover vinegar from the pickled fruit can be used in salad dressing or to marinate poultry or fish.
About This Recipe
This recipe uses the sweetness of citrus plus the tartness of vinegar to make a flavorful recipe for meats, seafood or poultry.