Chicken Seafood Gumbo
Dinner, Ethnic, Soups, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, Low Sodium
Based on 12, one cup servings per recipe.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 8 ounces lean smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound cooked shrimp
- 6 ounces canned crab, drained
- 3 cups frozen okra, chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a 4.5 quart or larger pot over medium heat.
- Add celery, onion, bell pepper, chicken, and sausage and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove mixture from pot and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add 1/2 cup canola oil and stir in flour to make a roux.
- Stir in Cajun seasoning and let cook for a minute or more depending on how dark you want your gumbo to be.
- Very slowly stir in chicken broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil and let boil for about 10 minutes or until it starts to thicken slightly.
- Reduce heat to medium and add shrimp, crab, and okra, and add chicken mixture back into pot as well.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
About This Recipe
The base of celery, onion, and green pepper is called the "holy trinity" in Cajun cooking.