Based on 8 servings per recipe.
- 1 whole chicken or 3 lbs chopped chicken
- 2 cups water or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 stalk celery with leaves, cut fine
- 2-3 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon mace or nutmeg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- Put chicken, vegetables, spices and water or broth into slow cooker.
- Add more water, enough to cover chicken by about 1″.
- Turn cooker on low for about 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken to an ovenproof dish.
- Remove the bones if you want, they may just fall off.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Turn slow cooker up to high heat. Add the 1/4 cup flour and whisk quickly, to avoid lumps.
- Cut the butter into the 2 cups of flour with two knives, a pastry cutter or food processor.
- Blend in wet ingredients to a stiff dough and drop by spoonfuls into the boiling broth.
- Cover the cooker, reduce the heat to prevent boiling, and cook for 15 minutes without removing the lid.
- Put chicken in large serving dish and pour thickened sauce over, serve with dumplings.
About This Recipe
A low sodium version of an old comfort classic.