Chicken and Dumplings
Soups, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 8 servings per recipe.
- 1 large or 3 lbs cut up parts Chicken
- 2 cups Water or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 stalk with leaves, cut fine Celery
- 2-3, sliced Carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Mace or nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 3 teaspoons Baking powder
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- Put chicken, vegetables, spices and water in slow cooker.
- Add more water, enough to cover chicken parts by about 1″.
- Turn cooker on low for about 6-8 hours.
- When you get home, remove the chicken to an ovenproof dish.
- Remove the bones if you want, they may just fall off.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Turn slow cooker up to high heat. Add the 1/4 cup flour and whisk quickly, to avoid lumps.
- Make the dumpling batter.
- Cut the butter into the flour with two knives, a pastry cutter or food processor.
- Blend in wet ingredients to a stiff dough and drop by spoonfuls into the boiling broth.
- Cover the cooker, reduce the heat to prevent boiling, and cook for 15 minutes without removing the lid.
- Put chicken in large serving dish and pour thickened sauce over, serve with dumplings.
About This Recipe
Low sodium version of an old comfort classic.