Based on 4 servings per recipe.
- 4, chilled beets, roasted, peeled, and diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1 per person bed of leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup fruit or herb vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 ounces Stilton or blue cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roast beets until tender, about 45 min.
- Chill, peel and dice.
- Add the nuts, sugar, and water to a fry pan. Heat mixture, stirring constantly until most the liquid bubbles away.
- When the nuts are coated, and the fry pan is almost dry, pour nuts onto parchment paper or aluminum foil and separate nuts while still hot.
- Let cool and can be stored at room temperature for several months.
- Prepare lettuce bed.
- Toss beets with basil, vinegar and oil.
- Sprinkle on lettuce bed.
- Scatter cheese cubes and nuts across the top.
About This Recipe
Colorful red and yellow beets add interest to a meat dish. Roast extra beets when cooking them for a meal so you can have the leftovers for this amazing salad.