Apple Bran Muffins
Breakfast, Snacks, Vegetarian, High Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 12 servings per recipe.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon orange rind (grated)
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or sunflower seeds
- juice from 1 orange
- scant 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss flour, bran, baking soda, and nutmeg together with fork.
- Stir in orange rind, apples, raisins, and nuts or seeds.
- Pour the juice of 1 orange into a 2 cup measure and add buttermilk to make 2 cups.
- Combine buttermilk mixture with egg, molasses, and oil; stir thoroughly.
- Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients with a few swift strokes.
- Pour into greased muffin tins, filling them two-thirds full, and bake for 25 minutes.
About This Recipe
Apples add sweetness to this breakfast treat.