Apple Bran Muffins
Breakfast, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, High Protein, Low Sodium
Based on tbd servings per recipe.
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups Wheat bran
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Orange rind (grated)
- 1 cup Chopped apple
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup Chopped nuts or sunflower seeds
- Juice from 1 orange
- Scant 2 cups Buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 Beaten egg
- 1/2 cup Molasses
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Toss flour, bran, salt, soda, and nutmeg together with fork.
- Stir in orange rind, apples, raisins, and nuts or seeds.
- Pour the juice of 1 orange into a 2 cup measure and add buttermilk to make 2 cups.
- Add to egg, molasses, and oil, and stir thoroughly.
- Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients with a few swift strokes.
- Pour into greased muffin tins, filling them two-thirds full, and bake for 25 minutes.
About This Recipe
Apples add sweetness to this breakfast treat.