Based on 16 servings per recipe.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups warm water, 95-105 degrees
- Mix flours, gluten, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- In a seperate bowl, mix yeast, honey, and oil into the water.
- Let stand and stir a bit until the yeast is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Mix the yeast mixture into the flour mix to create the dough.
- Knead the dough until you have elastic consistancy, adding more flour to the board as needed. Usually this take about 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Leave it alone until it doubles in size. Dependent upon heat and humidity, this will take 45 minutes to an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray your 5×9 pan with oil.
- Punch down dough and place in your pan.
- Let it rise again just to the top of the pan. This could take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.
- Place in oven for 50-55 minutes, the bread should have a rich brown color and should have a hollow sound when you tap it. Internal temperature should be around 200 degrees.
- Remove loaf from the pan after it is slightly cooled. Let the loaf cool on a rack before slicing.
About This Recipe
This hearty bread packs four times as much protein as most regular breads.