Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Dried Cranberries
Holidays, Side Dishes, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, Low Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 8 servings per recipe.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh (or frozen) green beans
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 12 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the skins begin to split, turn once.
- Transfer toasted nuts to a colander or dish, and rub briskly with a towel to remove the skins. Coarsely chop nuts.
- Bring 12 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add beans, cook 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and plunge into ice water, drain. Pat beans dry.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan, swirl to coat. Add shallots, cook until lightly browned. Add beans, cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Add cranberries and hazelnuts, cook 1 minute. Sprinkle with lemon zest.
About This Recipe
A colorful twist on fresh green beans with locally grown hazelnuts and cranberries