Dinner, Vegetarian, Low Phosphorus, High Potassium, Low Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 8 servings per recipe.
- 1 very large zucchini or 3-5 smalll zucchini
- 1 12 oz can low sodium diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup mixed fresh herbs, (any combination of oregano, thyme, sage) or 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped fine
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, diced fine
- 6-8 cloves whole fresh garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If using a large zucchini, slice it in half lengthwise. Scoop out the inside and cube, discarding any parts with very large seeds. If using small zucchini, peel and cube.
- In a medium sauce pan, add tomatoes, fresh herbs, parsley, and pepper. Simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a fry pan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil. Add cubed zucchini and sauté until golden on edges. Add tomato sauce and mix in.
- If using large zucchini, place halves, cut side up, in greased baking pan. Fill with zucchini and tomato mixture. If using small zucchini, fill greased baking dish.
- Top with large shavings of Parmesan.
- Bake in oven about 15 minutes, serve.
About This Recipe
This recipe is a great way to use up a big zucchini from someone’s garden, or try it with several small ones in a baking dish.