Apple & Cherry Chutney
Holidays, Sauces, Vegetarian, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, Low Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 32 (1 Tablespoon Each) servings per recipe.
- 1 medium tart apple
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Quarter and core the apple and cut into thin slices, leaving the skin on.
- Put the apples and cherries in a heavy saucepan with the onions, vinegar, and sugar. Cook, stirring until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is beginning to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the onions are tender and the dried cherries are plump and tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Uncover and bring the heat up to high and boil until the syrup around the fruit is reduced to a shiny glaze, about 5 minutes more. Chutney may be served at once or kept, covered and refrigerated for several days.
About This Recipe
A great recipe to add flavor to meats and sandwiches.