Tomatillo Green Salsa (canned)
Appetizers, Sauces, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, Low Sodium
Based on 40 servings per recipe.
- 5 cups tomatillos or green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long green chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup jalapeno peppers, seeded and chop
- 4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup lemon or lime juice
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan
Stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil,
Then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Wipe the rim of the jar and place canning lids on
- Heat water in a pan deep enough to cover jars plus one inch of water
- Boil water in this pan
Using a jar lifter, place jars in boiling water for 15-20 minutes
- Remove them from hot water
- Assess to see if all jars have sealed
If you do not want to can this recipe, you can keep it up to 2 weeks fresh in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 6 months.
About This Recipe
This salsa canning recipe takes the amazing flavors of tomatillos and makes them fresh and available year round. Great green salsa to jazz up any dish.