Candied Pumpkin Slices
Snacks, Low Phosphorus, Low Potassium, Low Protein, Low Sodium
Based on 15 (4 slices each) servings per recipe.
- 1 1/2 pounds pumpkins, peeled and seeded
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 zest from limes
- Cut the pumpkin into wedges about 3-4 inches wide.
- Cut across wedges to form slices about 1/4″ wide; set aside.
- Combine 2 cups sugar, lemon juice, and zest in a medium bowl.
- Add pumpkin pieces; stir until well coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer mixture to a medium heavy bottomed saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low; cook, stirring occasionally, until pumpkin is translucent and sugar has form a light-amber-colored caramel, 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove pumpkin from caramel with a slotted spoon, and dry on a rack set over a cookie sheet for at least 12 hours, turning the pumpkin pieces once or twice.
- Place remaining cup sugar in a medium bowl. Add several pieces of candied pumpkin to the bowl at a time; coat in the sugar.
- Transfer to a bowl to serve, or store in an airtight container for several days.
About This Recipe
Pumpkin candy from scratch. Enjoy this Autumn treat.