Based on 3 dozen servings per recipe.
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tablespoon Ginger (ground)
- 2 teaspoons Fresh ginger (finely grated)
- 2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3/4 cup Shortening or unsalted butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Dark molasses
- 1/2 cup Candied ginger (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup Cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sift flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into mixing bowl.
- Stir mixture to blend evenly.
- Place the shortening into a different mixing bowl and beat until creamy.
- Gradually beat in the white sugar.
- Then beat in egg and molasses.
- Sift 1/3 of flour mixture at a time into shortening mixture.
- Stir to blend.
- Mix together until soft dough forms.
- Stir in candied ginger.
- Pinch off small amounts of dough; roll into 1-inch diameter balls.
- Roll each ball in cinnamon sugar and place two inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until the tops are rounded and slightly cracked, about 10 minutes.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack.
- Store cookies in an air-tight container or wrap dough in plastic wrap, freeze, and bake a few at a time later.
About This Recipe
Besides being tasty and crisp these cookies can help with nausea, as ginger is well known to soothe a troubled tummy.